Posted tagged ‘belle’

pet naturals of vermont

August 5, 2009

I’m angry.  I’m bitter.  I don’t understand why she had to die.  And, I know what caused her to die.  It was obvious. 

We had 2 choices.  We could have done a toxicollogy autopsy or we could have a simple autopsy.  We chose the simple autopsy since the other one would take $1000’s and would have been a long trip to a University several hours away.  And, so, we took her to our vet.

The result came shortly.  She died of gas bloating her stomach and rupturing her spleen.  The vet said she could not determine since we chose not to have the toxicollogy autopsy done.  But, she had seen this happen due to rat poison or some other type of poison.  Her heart and lungs were healthy.  She was a healthy dog- 75 lbs of muscle.  The only thing she had ingested was the Pet Naturals of Vermont vitamin.  Therefore, I’ll let you come to your own conclusion-  toxicollogy autopsy or not!  I don’t use cleaners unless they are non toxic natural cleaners.  So, there was no possible way for her to ingest or even be around any other toxin.

Of course the Pet Natural people think they are in the clear since we chose the simple autopsy.  They don’t really care that they could be poisoning other animals.  They only cared about what we were going to do and once they found out we weren’t going to get the autopsy to give us the toxicollogy report they could care less about our Belle. 

And so, Belle died unneccesarily.  And, the obvious killers could care less if others suffer the same fate.

Advertisements

Belle

August 5, 2009

I just buried my dog- a lovely place by the pond where she used to swim and play.  We covered her with her blanket and toys- lots of them since she used to steal all of our tennis balls.  In fact, that’s what she was doing right before she got sick- playing fetch with my nephew- having a great day making sure that everyone who had come to visit had come strictly to visit her. (because clearly the world revolved around her- and the longer she’s gone the more I know she was right)

It wouldn’t be so bad- so painful- if she hadn’t died so suddenly and for such terrible reasons!  At 3 she was fine and happy and playing.  We gave her a new vitamin treat- Pet Naturals of vermont soft chews daily vitamins.  That was the only thing she had eaten during the day (she always ate at night when we ate dinner).  And, since she was making sure the world was revolving around her, she was never out of our site.  So, it’s a fact that the vitamin was the only thing she had eaten. 

30 minutes later, she was sick- not violently ill, just sick.  My husband and I took her outside and spent the next few hours watching her.  She would walk around, lay down, and sometimes act like she was going to vomit.  But, she never really did.  And, at 5:30 I called our vet.  They were leaving for the day and said to take her food and water away.  We made an appointment for the next day in case she wasn’t better.  They told us about an after hours clinic 30 minutes away if she got worse.  But, she didn’t.  She seemed to get better after that.  We researched her symptoms and they all led to the same conclusion.  She was suffering from vitamin toxicity or some sort of poison in her system.  And, they all suggested the same treatment.  She needs to just get it out of her system.  And, so it seemed she was doing that.  She was getting better- perking her ears when the neighborhood dogs barked, no longer getting sick, responding to our calling her name.  And so, we decided after 4 hours to come inside. 

At 7:30, we brought her inside.  She went and laid down in the kitchen.  She acted like she was going to vomit again and we thought walking up the stairs may have stressed her out.  So, we let her just lay and rest.  And, we went in the other room to do something or other and decided to check on her every 10 minutes or so.  And, that’s what I was doing when I found her barely responsive when I spoke to her.  I could tell she was having a hard time even raising her head- although her eyes told me she was trying to.  And, I wanted to see if she could get up, so I encouraged her to try and saw that she had no ability to get her hind legs up.  I ran to get my husband.  As he was going out to the kitchen I was already getting ready to take her to the after hours clinic- grabbing my shoes, keys, wallet, etc.  I went to the car to make sure there was a space for a 75 lb dog in the back seat.  I left the door open and called my son- who was less than 5 minutes from being home.  I would need his help to carry her to the car.  I walked back in to the house and walked into the kitchen and I knew.

My amazing Belle had gone.